Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Vienna ES 5K: Run and Fun!


It was an honor to participate in the Vienna Elementary Vikings 5K run this past weekend. While it was a tough course, with some uphill terrain on Cottage Street in certain section, it was my best time yet. A lot of this is due to the Nike LunarGlide+3 shoes that I was wearing, practice of course, and also due to kind folks encouragement. At 25:34 for the 3.2 mile course, I know I won't be competing with the Marathon Runner, who was able to complete it in 17 minutes and some change. Yet, with two knee surgeries, age, and no angry dogs chasing me, I'm happy to have completed it and taken part in an event that helps this school. It was a bit of concern that morning, as it rained the whole night prior to the event, yet the Sun parted the clouds to provide for optimal conditions.

First they had a fun run, with a young man from nearby Madison HS completing a mile in 6 minutes or so. Congrats to him, and all of the participants in that event, including my father, and a good sized crowd. At 8:35 a.m. our airhorn went off, and my strategy might change on the next one. Its so hard to describe in words, the feelings of intensity that go through your veins when lined up, surrounded by hundreds of runners. Yes, I knew deep down that I wasn't going to win, but that spirit is never crushed, just only put on the backburner into a new reality. That is to finish in the top 25% which was accomplished, and to continue to improve. I did make some mistakes. The first one was getting caught up in this, and gunning it as fast as I could. At the 1.6 mile marker, I was in 37th place. The end result was #78, which wasn't bad, but the last mile was a real beast, due to barely having any gas left in the tank.

Yet what brought some encouragement, besides the crowd, was seeing my wife, our two year old son, and other family members cheering me on. I gave it all I had, probably a brisk jog for the last couple hundred yards, and was happy with this time. At the end, the school was kind enough to provide water, bread, oranges, bananas, and other foods/drinks, to replenish all of the electrolytes missing from such a competition. The t-shirt designed by the Vienna student was excellent, although I was happy to wear a bright red Chris Perkins for Congress, who's running(for a better term), for the 11th district Congressional Seat against Incumbent and career politician Gerry Connolly.

This is an annual event, and I strongly recommend it to all families. Prior to the race, there was an exercise exhibit, and at the end, there was a raffle. Local businesses offered prizes such as massages(perhaps maybe not the best joke, since a illegal operation just got shut down with arrests in town), and also Thai food and other gifts. This event, if you google Vienna ES 5 K, should be held again in late April next year. I plan on being there again, and hoping others will run this course, that goes through neighborhood streets. To the people cheering us on, the Vienna Police and others who blocked the roads for safety purposes, thank you. If you are in the area, I highly recommend it, although be prepared to really hit the pavement on this one. Its early in the day, but you'll get a running start.

No comments:

Post a Comment